Dominical, Costa Rica: A Party Town best known for waves, drugs and nightlife
Dominical, Costa Rica is considered the farthest town North in the Ballena Coast part of South Pacific Costa Rica, and is best known for surfing and its party atmosphere.
We refer to Dominical, Costa Rica as the “20’s town” locally because that’s the average age there. It’s laid back, dirty, dusty, fun and definitely a younger crowd (than those of us in our 40’s). As such, “Domi” is the place where many come to catch some waves, hit a yoga class or two, and to pick up their drug of choice.
That’s not to say there’s not great real estate in the hills above Dominical…there is…and great people too; it all depends on the lifestyle and community you’re looking for!
Our favorite things about Dominical, Costa Rica:
- Mono Congo, the colorful, organic, non-meat coffee shop and lunch place (featured in the video above!)– its outdoor seating faces the river and they have interesting, tasty food.
- Mama Toucan’s – the natural food store that brings in hard to find items for those of us who eat consciously.
- Alyse at Hairadise, the hair salon – our choice for quality hair care in the area
- The small farmer’s market which takes place every Friday from 9 am to about 3 pm – get your goods direct from the growers.
- Our attorney, Rosario, at Pacific Coast Law – she’s ethical and thorough – and our legal professional of choice for our clients’ real estate closings!
- El Pescado Loco (restaurant) for fresh fish tacos and people watching.
- Tortilla Flats (bar on the beach) in small doses, when we’re up for people watching and a couple of cold brews. Watch your handbag or backpack in this area though
Dominical advice: Watch your wallet, your handbag and your backpack in this area AT ALL TIMES. There’s a lot of petty theft that happens – even if you are few steps from your things. Please don’t take any chances.
While the majority of our clientele prefer Uvita or Ojochal, we do occasionally get a request to see what’s listed in the Dominical area. When that happens, we work with a trusted fellow partner that lives and works in Dominical since he lives and breathes that environment every day.
Note: Some properties – for example those in San Martin or Playa Hermosa – may be referred to or listed by other realtors as being “in Dominical”, but they aren’t really. We do list homes (when asked) in these areas, as they are popular with expats, and some of the areas on the Northern end of our coverage area that we recommend in South Pacific Costa Rica, depending on the lifestyle our clients are seeking. If these areas are on your Costa Rica Paradise Home Wish list, contact us.
Dominical, Costa Rica is 18 kilometers North of Uvita, and 47 kilometers South from world-famous Manuel Antonio beaches and national park, in addition to the local Quepos/Manuel Antonio airport).